Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday Feature -- The Bird Bags

This week's featured SF Etsy teammate is Sarah of The Bird Bags. Her purses and accessories are delightful and unique, full of color and style. I especially like this Green "Finch" handbag, with its pink pops of color.

Enjoy the interview!

1. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

I design handbags, clutches and accessories. Inspiration for this line began in the Fall of 2010, while dreaming of something personal I could make for my bridesmaids. Sewing was introduced to me in 4-H when I was about 10 years old. I have dabbled ever since. Art is in my blood, from my very talented mother who is an art educator in NY and practicing painter and ceramicist to my grandmother who has sewn, knitted, crocheted and painted for as long as I can recall.
My creative process begins with a vision of a handbag that I would like to carry. I think about the shape, the function and the fabric; then I sketch it out. Next I make the pattern, select the fabric and interfacing appropriate to the design, the hardware, thread, etc. I cut, steam and sew (often with trial and error until I am happy with the result.) One of my favorite parts of bag making is the final turn, when I pull the lining through, and can finally see the fruit of my labors.

2. To which Etsy Teams do you belong?

SF Etsy
Sonoma County Etsy
Top Treasury
Pinterest
HomespunSociety
Carried Away: The Etsy Bag Makers Team

3. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.

I am a middle school art teacher, a mother and a wife. I hold a BFA in photography, which continues to be a life long passion.

4. What inspires your creations?

A love for accessories! I create the purses that I want to carry, or sometimes the ones that my friends want to carry. The designs come from a creative stand point, but also a practical one.
The colors and prints are inspired by the beauty in the world around me; Fashion, Traveling, Artwork, Nature.

5. What is your favorite item in your shop? Why is it your favorite?

The Mondrian Inspired “Chickadee” purse is one of my favorites because of it’s bold color palette. I also love the V-pleating in the center, and the oh-so-handy key hook strap.

6. What advice do you have for other folks selling or buying on Etsy?

To never stop creating. That is after all why you started your shop in the first place.

7. If you had a gift certificate to Etsy for any one item you wanted, what would you buy?

I would buy this rocking bed from ShinerInternational because it is one of the coolest furniture pieces I’ve seen!

8. Which one song describes your life the best? Why?

“Push”, by Sarah McLachlan, not just because it was my wedding song, but because it word for word describes me and my relationship with my loving husband. He is my rock, and my reason for pursing a business creating handbags. He continually supports me and encourages me every step of the way.

9. If you had to be an animal for one week, which animal would you choose to be? And what would you do?

I would be a Bald Eagle, no question about that. Flying would be the ultimate rush!

18. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

Website
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest






If you're an Etsy seller in the San Francisco Bay Area, contact Katy or Steph about joining SFEtsy!

1 comment:

Chase Clark said...

Ooh their envelope clutches are great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...